Eskdalemuir Observatory is situated in the Southern Uplands of Scotland. It is on a rising shoulder of open moorland in the upper part of the valley of the river White Esk. It is surrounded by young conifer forests with hills rising to nearly 700 m to the NW. The observatory is 100 km from Edinburgh and 25 km from the towns of Langholm and Lockerbie.
Eskdalemuir is a synoptic meteorological station involved in measurement of solar radiation, levels of atmospheric pollution, and in chemical sampling. The observatory operates a US standard seismograph and an International Deployment Accelerometer Program long-period sensor. BGS has a three-component seismometer set installed at the observatory and records data from four remote sites transmitted to the observatory by radio link.
The observatory opened in 1908. It was built because of disruption to geomagnetic measurements at Kew Observatory following the advent of electric tramcars at the beginning of the 20th century. BGS took over responsibility for magnetic observations from the Meteorological Office in 1968.
There is one member of BGS staff stationed at the observatory.
Eskdalemuir is an ideal remote sensing location for many physical observations. We host a number of instruments for collaborators including:
|55.314° N||356.794° E|
|57.620° N||083.722° E|
245m above mean sea level
Geomagnetic coordinates are approximations calculated using the 11th generation IGRF at epoch 2013.5.
Mapping data licensed from Ordnance Survey with the permission of HMSO Crown copyright.
All rights reserved. Licence Number: 100017897/2013